The Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM), through its Protection and Support Section, seeks to provide various forms of protection and support available to enable journalists to pursue their work in a secure environment.
The support umbrella includes several forms and mechanisms to achieve some kind of protection and support for journalists, including:
Asylum application support
Technical and logistical support
Criteria for processing applications:
- Applicant has published content in media outlets (electronic or printed newspapers – television – radio – news agencies).
- Applicant has been publishing media content continuously for at least one year.
- Media work is a source of income.
- If the applicant works on social media pages, content published should be a source of information for the media.
- Applicant’s content respects the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Applicant respects property rights in the publication of images and news.
- Applicant’s reason for requesting support is related to the journalistic work.
- An applicant who has discontinued media work for more than one year from the date of submission of the application to SCM does not qualify.
- An applicant who has worked in media for a primarily non-media does not qualify.
- An applicant associated with any political or military entity or who has acted for political or military interests does not qualify.
- And applicant should not have received support for the same request from another organization within six months from the date of submission of the application.
The SCM works to meet the demands of applicants who mean the requirements with available means, and prioritises according to threat to life and humanitarian need (especially urgent medical assistance) and notes that support is linked to the options available to the SCM and its partner international organisations.
The SCM will contact the applicant to confirm receipt and will follow-up on the application within a maximum of 10 working days. Support may need to be further linked to several steps, including verification of information and research of response opportunities.
By submitting the application, the applicant is responsible for the accuracy of the information contained in the form, and is obliged to inform the SCM in the event that h/she provides any other organization with a request for support during SCM’s processing of his/her or in the event of a change in important information in the evaluation of his/her file.
How to apply:
If you are in need of support and protection, please fill out the electronic form here. and press submit when finished.