The Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM) is an independent, non-governmental, and non-profit organisation registered in France in 2004, governed by a non-remunerated board. It has held a special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (UN ECOSOC) since 2011.
SCM’s vision is for a world based on freedom, justice, and equality that respects personal dignity, human rights, and fundamental freedoms.
Job title: Grants officer
Program/ Project/ Department: Programs
Positions available: 1 vacancy.
Duration of the contract: 12 months renewable due to the programmatic need and financial coverage (including a 3-month probation period from 16-08-2023 to 15-11-2023).
Application deadline: 02 August 2023.
Work Station: Paris, France
Roles and Responsibilities:
Sub-granting & Grant Utilisation Monitoring and Support:
- Initiating. Early coordination discussions with SCM subgrantee partners, organising partners’ grant-related feedback and incorporating this feedback into master programmatic environments as and when approved and applicable; with close coordination with SCM project team members.
- Leading On preparing the manual required for SCM subgrantees, which will be including: technical and financial evaluation guidelines, financial guidelines, and reporting guidelines. This manual should be presented in a user-friendly format and language and be translated into SCM official languages (Arabic, English, Kurdish; and possibly French).
- Leading. On the development of the organisational partner capacity assessments (OCA) processes and the relevant terms of reference (ToRs) required for outsourcing.
- Leading. On reviewing partners’ proposals and developing the executive evaluation reports and matrices.
- Acting. As the focal for partners’ grant-related modifications and address partners’ inquiries based on and in compliance with: partners’ recommendations, SCM policies, donor requirements and standards, and relevant lessons learned and best practices.
- Supporting. Partners with their technical requests while the development and/or revisions of their grant proposals and the relevant annexes.
- Detail-orientation. To pay attention to details in terms of internal policies and external guidelines, as well as report any potential deviation in the
- interpretation of the shared information. This involves ensuring that all relevant team members and partner focal points have an appropriate understanding of the project components, tasks, and relevant responsibilities with close coordination with the relevant Project Manager.
Grants Development and Partnerships:
- Maintaining. Updated grants and partnerships trackers, such as: SCM Grant Tracker, SCM Partner Database, SCM Reporting Tracker, SCM Grants Development Tracker, etc.
- Developing Opportunity executive summaries, and coordinating and leading Go-or-no-goand as well as early design meetings.
- Acting As a focal point for the assigned. Active grants (ongoing & in-the-pipeline), and leading the relevant collaborative tasks and meetings.
- Supporting The development of SCM Potential Donor Tracker and providing the recommended donor cultivation action points in synergy with SCM strategy and strategic plans.
Requirement, Skills, and Experience:
- Desirable/ Priority will be given to candidates with proven experience in working with civil society development, transitional justice with a focus on victims’- led grassroots organizations:
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills, creative approach to problem-solving.
- Experience of liaising with donors, partners and international bodies such as the EU.
- Desirable / Priority will be given to candidates with proven experience managing and/or implementing EU-funded grants.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements.
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability and human rights ethics.
- Proven experience in supporting CSOs/ CBOs/ Associations, monitoring subgrantee utilisation of the grants, developing project proposals and managing subgrants.
- Fluency in Arabic and English with sufficient command of Kurdish and/or any European language is a plus.
How to apply:
- The CV must include contact information (telephone number, mail address), previous experiences with professional references, academic qualifications
- The CV must be in PDF format with the full name of the applicant in the title.
- Applications should be sent via email to: [email protected] with the name of the vacancy in the email subject.
- Any applications received after the deadline will be rejected.
- CVs will be reviewed after the deadline of submission, and only shortlisted will be called for interviews. We apologize for not sending replies to all.