Job Title: Project Manager
Unit/Department: Media and Freedoms Unit
Type of Contract: Consultancy
Duration of Contract: 1 Year
Contract Fee: Experience-based
Location: Berlin or Paris
Start date: As soon as possible
Deadline for Applications: 10 April 2018
The Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM) launched the “Observatory of Hate Speech and Incitement to Violence” in partnership with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in the second half of 2017. This new cooperation between the two organizations is aimed at establishing a positive attitude towards reducing the use of hate speech in the local media and thus reducing its destructive impact on Syrian society as a new step towards achieving civil peace in the country and creating a democratic environment in which freedom of speech flourishes.
The “Observatory of Hate Speech and Incitement to Violence” seeks to build a broader partnership with local and international media and civil society organizations to build upon past experiences and endeavors in the implementation of this project. The program focuses on monitoring the content of the Syrian media, through a group of trained Syrian media monitors, to assess the use of hate speech and incitement, and raise awareness in the Syrian media community about the reasons for using this speech, its forms and consequences, and ways to deal with this issue. And establish tools and standards to limit its use.
The project encompasses two phases. The first phase which ended in December 2017 involved the preparation of the monitoring methodology, training of monitors on the methodology and the monitoring tools. The second phase requires monitoring and using the results to serve the development of the media work in Syria. During 1st phase, 24 monitors were trained on the curriculum, mechanism and tools and a pilot period was implemented. The second phase requires the hiring of selected monitors after the pilot phase to carry out the monitoring in accordance with the plan prepared for 2018. The second phase monitoring will be carried out in two different periods in 2018 with a time break of two weeks to two months, and for a limited period of time not exceeding two weeks per monitoring period.
SCM calls upon people with expertise and interest in overseeing the monitors, analysing and managing the data to review the following work requirements:
- Fluency in Arabic (speaking and writing);
- English proficiency (speaking and writing);
- Fluency in Kurdish (speaking and writing) is a plus;
- At least 3 years of work experience, preferably in the media sector;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to build and manage relationships with multiple stakeholders at a senior level;
- Ability to manage the Monitoring Team and follow up work under pressure.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Oversee all project activities and be the main contact point for the donor and the field staff;
- Ensure project activities comply with the policies and regulations of SCM and the donor organization;
- Assist in establishing criteria and measurables for success or completion of project;
- Responsible for overseeing the development and execution of project deliverables, lead project planning, budgeting, action plans and monitoring processes;
- Responsible for submitting activity reports, meeting minutes and financial reports on regular basis to the donor;
- Oversee the preparation and submission of annual activity-based project budgets as well as monthly and quarterly financial reports and development of new funding requests;
- Lead and motivate the project team and monitor project activities and project expenditure and coordinate work with consultants and volunteers in the project;
- Ensures close collaboration and coordination with cooperating partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities and achievement of results as specified in grant agreements;
- Engage other agencies, businesses, donors and stakeholders to financially support and publicize project or initiative;
- Monitor progress of project stages and determine and implement any necessary changes
- Employs resourcefulness in project design, implementation and monitoring. Troubleshoots project challenges. Identifies and implements creative solutions;
- Provide the members of the Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression with the necessary data to evaluate the project.
Interested candidates should email their CVs including contact details of two professional references and cover letter to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.