Deadline for Submission: Friday, 23 November 2018 (End of Day)
The Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM) is an independent, non-governmental and non-profit institution that aims for a society that guarantees freedom of expression, belief, human rights and access to justice. Since its establishment in 2004, SCM has been working to defend individuals who are persecuted because of their beliefs, promote human rights, and support and develop professional, independent and critical media.
The SCM currently focuses on human rights violations documentation, litigation for victims, and support for civil society and Syrian media/journalists. Our team members are based in Syria and neighboring countries, as well as Europe and the Americas, and our headquarters are in Paris, France.
The SCM is recruiting for an experienced documentation program manager who will lead the development of a documentation methodology according to the identified needs and objectives by SCM. We require a relevant university degree or equivalent, as well as fluency in Arabic and English languages. At least 4 years in human rights violations’ documentation is necessary. Please take a look at a closer at the role description and required skills below. If you feel you are qualified for the role, please and send your CV to [email protected] and please add ‘Documentation Program Manager’ in the subject of your e-mail.
15 days from the date the announcement
|Date to launch announcement
9 November 2018
Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM)
Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM) is an independent non-governmental non-profit organization. We seek to build a society that guarantees freedom of expression and belief, human rights and justice. Our vision is a democratic world based on justice, freedom, equality and respect for human rights and dignity.
Documentation Program Manager
|No. of positions available
|Type of contract and duration
Three months with a possibility of extension.
|Roles and responsibilities
● Develop a review, audit and edit plan for the available database of VDC/Documentation Programme.
● Lead the development of documentation methodology according to the identified needs and objectives by SCM, and through facilitating brainstorming and direct action of relevant stakeholders to accomplish this methodology.
● Lead the process of establishing and developing the technical plans to implement the methodology.
● Implement the methodology plans and the technical tools and produce accurate outputs based on those plans according to an identified timeline.
● Continuously monitor and evaluate the performance of this methodology and tools according to SCM’s policies and providing regular feedback.
● Hold direct responsibility of the relevant electronic platforms according to the policies and instructions of the Technical Department.
● Manage and monitor the programme’s personnel and provide performance reports.
● Effectively coordinate with other programmes and departments in consultation with the line manager.
● Continuously work on the development of the information sources and partners network of the programme.
● Participate in developing projects and proposals based on the adopted methodology and SCM’s objectives, in close coordination with the line manager.
● Manage the contractual obligations such as grants under the line manager’s supervision.
● Manage external communication aspects that directly relate to documentation and deciding regarding it in coordination with the line manager.
● Represent the programme – and SCM in general – in relevant activities in coordination with the line manager.
● Develop short and long-term plans for the programme and its activities, monitor and ensure its progress and evaluate its performance.
● Document and preserve all information, data and documents according to the programme’s needs and the organisational and digital security policies.
● Facilitate, organise and/or hold periodic meetings/activities with specific individuals and entities to support and develop productive relations.
● Liaise with partners, media and other stakeholders to explain and promote the programme and its activities.
● Adhere to professional standards as outlined by protocols, rules and regulations.
● Maintains safe working environment by complying with safety procedures, rules, and regulations.
● Preserve and protect beneficiary confidentiality in all situations and with all documentation.
● Share knowledge and provide orientation to other staff members, and train and supervise new and junior staff under his/her supervision.
● Co-lead the programme’s internal meetings and activities and regularly report on it;
● Writes monthly progress reports on activities and situation on the ground according to SCM’s reporting policies.
Any other relevant tasks assigned by the line manager
|Skills and Experience
● Relevant university degree or equivalent.
● Fluency in Arabic and English languages, knowledge of French is a plus.
● Experience for at least 4 years in documentation of violations.
● Experience of 2 years at least working with tools, programs and platforms related to human rights and documentation.
● Proficiency in using computer and internet programs related to the work.
● Adequate academic knowledge of IHL and IHRL.
● Availability and ability to travel.
● Significant and detailed knowledge of the Syrian context especially regarding the involved actors in the conflict.
● A team worker but also able to work individually and under pressure and in complex situations and contexts.
|How to apply
● The CV must include contact information (telephone number, Skype address), previous experiences with professional references, academic qualifications.
● Please add three references
● CV must be in PDF with the full name of the applicant in the title
● Send your applications to [email protected] please add (Documentation Program Manager) in the subject of your e-mail
● Any application received after the deadline will be rejected.